I very much want to get the Black-eyed Susans planted but digging that bed is proving a real challenge. Not only is the dirt hard-packed enough so that when I jump on the shovel it barely digs an inch down, but there seems to be ancient cement about 6 inches below the surface — I think left over from when the building was built and perhaps put there with the idea of the building being expanded or some sort of patio space. It shouldn’t be a problem for the Susans as they are field flowers with relatively shallow roots. They come back year after year because they re-seed themselves. Getting the bed dug to begin with though is very slow going. I got one one-foot wide swatch only 5 feet long dug up today only. That leaves another 20 feet by four and finishing the section I’ve started.
I’m excited about how well the tomatoes are doing. If they keep on as they’ve been going, I’ll definitely have not only enough for me but to share with the neighbours.
Tomorrow I plan to start another 12 dwarf mignon dahlia seeds and another 8 aubergine seeds. I’ve got to start some cucumbers because I think the plants I thought were my cucumbers are actually bush zucchini. They came out of the cucumber seed packet but I’d forgotten that last summer I had a seed spill and, when re-packing them into the seed packets, I think I accidentally put some of the bush seeds into the cucumber packet. When I pulled out the cucumber seeds to plant, I went for the biggest and most healthy looking — eh, yeah, it looks like bush squash is what sprouted!