Guest Contributor: Update from Lynne

Lynne here.  Knowing that the distance Yaeli, Ronen and the cats had to travel by both jet and truck, I was sure that they would all arrive in at least an exhausted shape, and I hoped no worse than that.  They arrived just about on time here Friday, and the enclosure that I had built was not finished much sooner than that—perhaps it had been “completed” about an hour and half before they arrived. And, it certainly was not built according to my specifications and directions.  We have hired this contractor for years though he was not ideal, and he has become more irritating, obnoxious and less professional over time.  I will never hire him for a project no matter how simple or small again.  Though disappointed in the enclosure, I thought that everything else was mostly ok… little did I realize the utter disaster that awaited us within a few hours.

We got the animals settled in the house, the new enclosure, the garage/outdoor enclosure, and we decided to pick up dinner from one of our favorite vegetarian restaurants.  About 8:30 P.M. we did what we thought would be the final check of the evening. Yaeli was exhausted and ready for a shower and some sleep, but that was not going to happen for a long while. Within seconds of walking into the garage, Yaeli discovered to her absolute horror that one of the cats was trapped in the wall.  Yes. The moron contractor left off a top piece of board that should have gone above the  sheet rock that he put in a few years ago.  My cats are not as adventurous as Yaeli’s group—not by a long shot. Yaeli’s cats are the most active, adventurous, spirited cats that I have ever seen at any time or anywhere. My cats did live out there  for years without falling down the wall, but her cat managed it in an astonishing short time, and one other one was about to fall down, too.  We arrived just in time to avert that.

We totally panicked. I mean that little cat was screaming inside the wall and was too far down to reach. She was wedged in and we could not see her at all due to the narrow space that she fell through at nearly the top of the low ceiling in that area. She could not get out and we could not reach her. I called the emergency number and was informed by a haughty agent that they don’t help cats.  I called the contractor—on the phone (not the variety of insulting names that I was thinking of).  He did not answer his phone.  Next I called David, a local cat shelter manager who makes cat trees and items for cats, and who I had only contacted the day before to order a super nice cat tree. He told us what to do to get the cat out:  Use a hammer to break a hole in the sheet rock below the cat and take the claw end of the hammer and begin pulling the sheet rock out… grabbing the cat before it could slip down further.  Yaeli did that, but got a deep bite from the frightened cat while she was still in the wall.   In spite of injuries, screams and hysteria on the part of the cats and us, we got the cats all out into the outdoor enclosure. It was not safe for them to be in that inside area. The cat sanctuary manager, David,  called us back and offered to come over the next day and evaluate the problem, hoping to fix it the next day. 

He came up with a simple solution and fixed about ten other small problems that he discovered that the contractor made.  He fixed them all and double checked everything for safety.  The contractor that caused the problem did not want to come out to fix anything, because it was the weekend and he was “tired”. Uh huh.  He has lost this customer.

We have moved some of the cats around according to their needs, and we have two that have UTIs. One is on meds already, and the other will see the vet tomorrow.  The cats are fixed up as best we can manage, but clearly the poor things are struggling to adjust.  I know that they wish that they were home. Tomorrow, I will do my best to help them feel as comfortable and happy as possible in their new surroundings.  I just got back from the pet store where I purchased new beds, toys, and a super amazing scratching pad that has a ball that rolls around on a track and lights up.  Fascinating to me but I am not a cat…  Anyway, Yaeli will be home soon and plans to post her adventures and some pictures on Wednesday or Thursday.  Stay tuned, folks, and thanks for the encouragement with the cat resettlement.


11 responses to “Guest Contributor: Update from Lynne”

  1. israeliminx says :

    Yaeli is indeed home, just. For the record, Flora the Explorer was very aptly named obviously as it was she who managed to fall down inside the wall! Puddin’ was trying to copy her example. I took a ton of pictures of every step and (hopefully) a couple of videos and it will be the weekend before I can get those all up. I didn’t get as much video or pictures as I’d have liked because … well it is hard to do anything with a camera when your two hands are needed for every step of pretty much everything! I’d have loved to have some video of the change-the-carrier-bedding/put food and water procedure done (repeatedly) during the 19 hour road trip in the back of a U Haul truck — both hysterically funny and pretty amazing (Ronen is so beyond amazing I don’t even have words and I’d sure like the video documenting his deftness during those procedures — I merely was acting as his Girl Friday).

    Ema didn’t mention the escape of Tinoket into the yard following our rescue of Flora from the wall and the herding of all (we thought) the cats into the outside enclosure — we got Tinoket into the outside enclosure but she got back unnoticed into the garage through the cat door while we were grabbing and shoving the others through the cat door and then blocking the door up –and then she bolted out of the garage into the (thankfully fenced section) of the yard and an hour-long chase through bushes and brambles ensued before we got her safely back with the others. Well, I’ll post more about everything on Wednesday and pictures and video on the weekend.

    Meantime, I’m having empty nest syndrome here and the ones left behind are wandering about and crying for their absent friends.

  2. Tiger Mike says :


  3. Erin Rawls says :

    good grief…I can’t believe you already returned to Israel. You, are quite possibly the best cat momma EVER.

  4. tddpirate says :

    Thanks for the status update.

  5. Mac says :

    Now that was indeed, a long day! Glad you’re home safe. I hoped you’d get to spend more time with Lynne.

  6. israeliminx says :

    Yaeli, I am thinking of keeping Muffin in the house…. she is so sensitive and there are less personalities for her to deal with. Good idea or not?

    • israeliminx says :

      Try her in the house and if she behaves badly litterbox-wise then put her with the others. Ema, you need to log out of the blog because your comments come up as me :). To log out look at the top of the page at the top right and you will see Israeliminx with a small person picture next to it. Hover your mouse over the person picture and a box will come up, click sign out. 🙂

  7. Jake from Philly says :

    My goodness, you are both amazing! And a pox on your contractor! Looking forward to the weekend update.

  8. Lynne says :

    Yaeli, be sure to check email for updates and to answer my questions about the cats.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: