A garden update and the traffic stopping rose

The garden is only just now on the cusp of becoming productive. I had a few setbacks. They were major setbacks. Last fall, after all the double digging, spider-eeking, and sweat, I did what I have never done before — I created the Mel’s mix (of square foot gardening fame) for the big salad raised bed. I mixed in vermiculite, peat moss, soil, and compost in the correct proportions. Unfortunately, because I’d only just started our own composting at my Ema’s place, I bought compost in bags from the garden store ($30 of the stuff!!), and even more unfortunately, the compost turned out to be a serious plant killer. It wasn’t cured. It was supposed to be cured but what we got was literally hundreds of (non-edible) mushrooms sprouting and anything planted either turned yellow and died soon after sprouting or just sat there if transplanted like it lived in munchkin land. The only exceptions were on the side where I’d run out of the compost and that was only a few squares of this big square foot garden.

I’ve now replaced almost all of the squares containing that expensive mix with, well, still expensive miracle gro soil, but at least things are growing.

I designed two raised beds, one with a trellis, that are just getting going.
IMG_0728

More pics to come of the garden today.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: